The Senior Civil/Structural Engineer requires coordination, planning and engineering design of foundations and structures as a lead civil/structural engineer for Direct Reduction (DR) iron plants and new technology initiatives. Some travel is required, up to 25%.
- Provide technical direction and supervision to Engineers and Designers assigned to the project team, as well as subcontractors working on executing structural designs.
- Develop conceptual design and perform design calculations basic to civil/structural engineering for foundations and structures that support the firm’s equipment, ducting, etc., providing load diagrams, analysis methods and detailed analysis, as required.
- Provide technical direction and support to subcontractors or clients engineers in the design of structures, foundations, analysis methods, etc.
- Administer sub-contracts for civil/structural design or material supply, reporting to management on schedules, execution, changes to contracts, potential problems or backcharges, etc. and requisitions for such services.
- Provide direction to Designers or draftspersons from the conceptual design stage to the preparation of civil/structural drawings, framing plans, etc.
- Analyze mechanical equipment, ducting, supporting systems, etc. for structural integrity.
- Assist Mechanical Engineers and Designers in the layout of equipment, ducting, etc. with input for their structural support.
- Travel on business trips and/or field assignments as required to carry out departmental tasks and functions.
- Travel to job sites to perform analyses of existing structures, layouts, etc. for use in developing future plans, proposals, etc.
- Travel to fabrication facilities to perform inspections of materials and adherence to designs and tolerances.
- Work as a teammate with all company departments and employees in all assignments. Work toward building consensus on all assignments by finding solutions which meet the best interests of all parties involved.
- Ability to organize and direct work assignments in accordance with project schedules.
- Knowledge of and experience with personal computer hardware/software.
- Knowledge of structural element analysis methods for static and dynamic load conditions using commercial computer programs such as STAAD.
- Knowledge of local and international building and design codes and standards.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills.
- Ability to provide advice to field erection activities, including supplying technical and installation assistance during erection of structures.
- PE registration preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years of hands-on civil/structural design experience, including 5 years in a lead engineer position on heavy industrial projects, preferably in DR or a steel related industry.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 25%, based on project demands).